Saturday, February 12, 2011

By way of introduction

Welcome to my little blog! I haven't kept one in a while, nor a relatively serious one ever, so apologies if it comes off as rough around the edges. The impulse is more or less this: I have a bunch of free time and a nagging desire to improve my writing, two birds that suggest the single stone-throw of writing on a semi-regular basis.

About me: I am a recent bachelor of math from the public university in my hometown New York, and currently working as a programmer for a genetics lab in Lawrence, Kansas. (If you are curious: my math interests include algebra and topology, in which I have the most formal-to-quasi-formal training, as well as geometry, combinatorics, number theory, and logic.) I also half consider myself a musician, which includes some barely competent playing on various instruments, some half-capable singing, and some dabbling in composition.

About the blog: The name Riemann Summary is a bad pun on Riemann sums.* I hope to write once or twice a week. Subjects might include math that I'm doing, music theory that's on my mind, perhaps a bit of both at once, programming tidbits, or whatever show/song/movie is on my radar. I hope to avoid trendy or newsy topics, since there's typically so much talk already that I won't add anything useful. In that and other respects, I'll take "whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent" as a guiding principle.

There should be a first non-housekeeping post up in a few hours. Hope to see you there!

* There's no connection between Riemann sums and this blog. Not that I couldn't fabricate one! Informally---very informally---Riemann sums can be described as the combining of many tiny, almost-zero things to form a large non-zero object, just as I could characterize my (hypothetical so far) posts here as tiny things that may, together, form a larger picture or idea. Predictably, this elaborate nonsense masks a deeply boring truth: in searching for a title, I tried puns, and Riemann Summary was the first non-awful one I could think of. You won't hear the ones I discarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment